Network for Endangered Sea Turtles
2012 Summer Sea Turtle Trainings
Summer is here which means N.E.S.T. is getting ready for the 2012 Sea Turtle Season. These spring training classes are specifically for volunteers (ages 14+) who live on the Outer Banks and are interested in participating in sea turtle monitoring efforts.
To register for the trainings click here: 2012 Summer Training and login. Click on the calendar link, navigate to the date of the class, and click on the class you wish to register for. For detailed directions on how to register please Click Here or call 252.453.0221 x 3.
New Volunteer Orientation & Sea Turtle Natural History
Who should attend?
This training covers how volunteers can become involved in NEST activities followed by an overview of the life strategies of sea turtles and the different species we see in North Carolina costal waters. It will also review last year's data and discuss current events and issues discussed at the annual NC Sea Turtle Permit Holder's meeting.
Monday, July 16th at 5PM at the Wildlife Center in Corolla
Wednesday, July 18th at 5PM at Jennette's Pier in Nags Head
Tuesday, July 31st at 5PM at the Wildlife Center in Corolla
Nest Sitting Training
Who should attend?
Any volunteers interested in late night monitoring of nests for emergence activity
Monday, July 16th at 6PM at the Wildlife Center in Corolla
Wednesday, July 18th at 6PM at Jennette's Pier in Nags Head
Tuesday, July 31st at 6PM at the Wildlife Center in Corolla
Wednesday, August 8th at 6PM at the fire station in Carova (4WD vehicle needed)
Tuesday, August 14th at 6PM at the Wildlife Center in Corolla
Directions to the Wildlife Education Center in Corolla (1160 Village Lane)
● Take NC 12 north through Duck and Corolla
● Turn LEFT into Currituck Heritage park (approximately 3.5 miles after the Food Lion stop light in Corolla)
● Turn RIGHT at the guard house
● Follow Village Lane through the park to the last parking lot at the end
● The Wildlife Center is the building with the green roof. The receptionist will direct you to the class
Directions to the Library in Kill Devil Hills
● Turn WEST onto Collington Road
● Take first LEFT onto Mustian St
● The library will be on your right (#400) between Meadowlark. and St. Clair Streets
● The room where the trainings will take place is located on the back side of the library. Follow the sidewalk around to the back and knock on the door if it is not open.
Directions to Jennette's Fishing Pier
● Take NC 12 north through Nags Head
● Mile Post 16 1/2 Oceanside
More Sea Turtle Information
P.O. Box 1168
Kitty Hawk, NC 27949
REPORT ALL NESTING TURTLES, TURTLE CRAWLS, stranded/dead turtles, OR HATCHING EVENTS on the Outer Banks to the