How you can help sea turtles on the Outer Banks
- If you see a see a sea turtle call the NEST hotline at 252-441-8622
- Keep away from turtles on the beach especially moving turtles that may be looking for a nesting site. To observe, sit quietly away from the turtle.
- Leave turtle hatchlings on the beach. Call N.E.S.T. hotline for direction.
- Turn off flashlights, cell phone screens, and all other ocean side lighting during hatching or nesting events.
- Respect all nest markers. Report disturbances to the N.E.S.T. hotline.
- Remove beach litter such as balloons and plastic bags (they may be mistaken for food in the ocean and ingested by sea turtles)
- Fill in all holes on the beach at the end of the day as they may become traps for female turtles that generally nest on the beach at night.
- Remove all beach furniture at the end of the day
- Keep pets on a leash and away from sea turtles and nests