SPRING VOLUNTEER TRAININGS
2014 Spring Sea Turtle Training Schedule is finally here! For questions or to make reservations, call 252.453.0221 ex. 1 or book online. New volunteers should be sure to complete our volunteer application here.
NEST Orientation & Sea Turtle Natural History • 1 1/2 hours • Ages 14+
This training covers how volunteers can become involved in NEST activities followed by an overview of the life strategies of sea turtles and the different species we see in North Carolina coastal waters. This training should be attended by new volunteers and any returning volunteers interested in a refresher on sea turtle biology.
For reservations, book online or call 252.453.0221 ex. 1.
- May 10th at 9AM in Nags Head at Jennette’s Pier
- May 12th at 4PM in Corolla at the Wildlife Center
- May 24th at 9AM in Corolla at the Wildlife Center
- May 27th at 4PM in Nags Head at Jennette’s Pier
- June 3rd at 4PM in Carova at the fire station
Nesting Response • 2 hours • Ages 14+
This training is for volunteers who wish to help respond to late night and early morning sea turtle nesting activity. We will cover identifying crawls, locating eggs, and taking nest measurements. Volunteers may register online or call the Wildlife Center to register by phone. For reservations, book online or call 252.453.0221 ex. 1.
- May 10th at 10:30AM in Nags Head at Jennette’s Pier
- May 12th at 5:30PM in Corolla at the Wildlife Center
- May 24th at 10:30AM in Corolla at the Wildlife Center
- May 27th at 5:30 PM in Nags Head at Jennette’s Pier
- June 3rd at 5PM in Carova at the fire station
Stranding Response & Necropsy • 1 Hour Stranding, 2 Hours Necropsy • Ages 18+
This hands-on workshop is for volunteers interested in collecting data from dead stranded turtles. In the first hour, volunteers will learn how to fill out a stranding sheet, how to take measurements, and what samples are collected from these turtles and how it helps biologists protect these threatened and endangered species. The second half of the training is optional for volunteers interested in learning how to take samples and assist with necropsies. For reservations, book online or call 252.453.0221 ex. 1.
- April 12th at 10AM in Manteo at the NC Aquarium
Directions to the Wildlife Education Center in Corolla (1160 Village Lane)
• Take NC 12 north through Duck and Corolla
• Turn LEFT into Currituck Heritage park (approximately 3.5 miles after the Food Lion stop light in Corolla)
• Turn RIGHT at the guard house
• Follow Village Lane through the park to the last parking lot at the end.
The Wildlife Center is the building with the green roof. Class will start in the auditorium.
Directions to Jennette’s Pier in Nags Head (7223 South Virginia Dare Trail)
- Jennette’s Pier is located near Whalebone Junction in Nags Head at 7223 South Virginia Dare Trail Nags Head, NC 27959.
- The training will take place in the classroom. Upon entering the building, look for the double glass doors to the left. Go through the doors and the classroom is immediately to the right.
Directions to the NC Aquarium on Roanoke Island
• Turn left onto Airport Rd.
• Follow the road all the way near the end to the NC Aquarium.
• Park in the main lot and check in at admissions. They will direct you to the location of the training.